Alonso Medina RoaCases
- Location of case in SG report
- Relevant SG report
- Year of the report
- From Country
- Country Geolocation
- Country Geolocation (linked Countries)
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Type of record
- Named individual
- Was the victim a foreign national?
- Was the victim a minor?
- Individual's/organization's activity
- Type of rights defended
- Civil/political rights
- Was the victim a civil servant, member of the security forces or of the judiciary?
- Reported trigger of reprisal
side event of the thirty-fifth session of the Human Rights Council on 6 June 2017
- Dates of engagement
- 6 June 2017
- Type of attempted engagement
- Participation in meeting on UN premises
- Dates of mentioned reprisals
- 6 June 2017
- Location of mentioned reprisals
- Reprisal information
representatives of the Government of Venezuela allegedly threatened and harassed four civil society representatives at a side event of the thirty-fifth session of the Human Rights Council on 6 June 2017. Mr. Alonso Medina Roa (Foro Penal), Mr. Julio Henriquez (Refugee Freedom Program), Ms. Laura Louza (Acceso a la Justicia) and Ms. Mercedes De Freitas (Transparencia Venezuela) were participating in a panel co-sponsored by the United States of America and were reportedly threatened that their passports would be confiscated.
- Types of reprisals suffered
- Threats/Intimidations (incl. "fear of reprisal")
- Alleged/likely perpetrators
- State actors
- Was the reprisal based on new legislation?
- Does the report make general comment about country’s environment for engagement with UN?
- Is the country cited for a "pattern of reprisal" in the context of this case?
- Is a pattern of reprisals mentioned otherwise in the context of this case?
- Does the report cite "self-censorship" as an issue in the context of this case?
- How many times has the case been followed up in subsequent SG reports?