- Location of case in SG report
- Relevant SG report
- Year of the report
- Country Geolocation
- Country Geolocation (linked Countries)
- East Asia and Pacific
- Type of record
- Named individual
- Was the victim a foreign national?
- Was the victim a minor?
- Individual's/organization's activity
SG of Karapatan Alliance for the Advancement of People’s Rights
- Type of rights defended
- Unclear in SG Report
- Was the victim a civil servant, member of the security forces or of the judiciary?
- Reported trigger of reprisal
led delegations of human rights defenders to the 41st, 42nd and 43rd sessions of the Human Rights Council, including to support the adoption of resolution 41/2 on the Philippines (see also PHL 7/2019); On 9 December 2019, Karapatan sent a submission to OHCHR and held a press conference.
- Dates of engagement
- June 2019; September 2019; March 2020; 9 December 2019
- Type of attempted engagement
- Participation in meeting on UN premises
- Submission of information to UN
- Dates of mentioned reprisals
- 10 December 2019
- Reprisal information
The following day, Ms. Palabay received several text messages with death and rape threats, and threats on social media, including from the accounts of the Philippine National Police, Armed Forces of the Philippines and the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict.
- Types of reprisals suffered
- Threats/Intimidations (incl. "fear of reprisal")
- Alleged/likely perpetrators
- State actors
- Was the reprisal based on new legislation?
- Does the report make general comment about country’s environment for engagement with UN?
- Government response dates
- 23 July 2020
- Government response content
It reiterated that the allegations of harassment, intimidation and threats against Karapatan are baseless.
- Is the country cited for a "pattern of reprisal" in the context of this case?
- Is a pattern of reprisals mentioned otherwise in the context of this case?
- Does the report cite "self-censorship" as an issue in the context of this case?
- How many times has the case been followed up in subsequent SG reports?