Student assisting with translationCases
- Case status
- Location of case in SG report
- Relevant SG report
- Year of the report
- From Country
- Country Geolocation
- Country Geolocation (linked Cases)
- South Sudan
- From Region
- Type of record
- Unnamed individual/group/organization
- Was the victim a foreign national?
- Was the victim a minor?
- Individual's/organization's activity
28-year-old student from assisting the United Nations team with interpretation.
- Type of rights defended
- Unclear in SG Report
- Was the victim a civil servant, member of the security forces or of the judiciary?
- Reported trigger of reprisal
assisting the United Nations team with interpretation.
- Engagement with UN body
- UN Peace Operation / Political mission
- Dates of engagement
- 28 March 2022
- Type of attempted engagement
- Meeting with UN officials during country visit / with locally present UN officials
- Dates of mentioned reprisals
- 28 Marc h 2022
- Location of mentioned reprisals
- South Sudan
- Reprisal information
- A third incident took place on 28 March 2022 when SSPDF soldiers interrupted a United Nations community meeting and prevented a 28-year-old student from assisting the United Nations team with interpretation. As the United Nations convoy left the area, the military took the student to their headquarters in the area and held him in the premises for nine days. During this time, the student was reportedly interrogated and forced to admit accusations of being a spy and collaborator to opponents of the government. The soldiers took his personal belongings, including a phone. Apart from verbal threats, the student was not physically harmed and was later released.
- Types of reprisals suffered
- Detention/Imprisonment: Detention/Imprisonment - General
- Property damage/raid/search/confiscation
- Threats/Intimidations (incl. "fear of reprisal")
- Alleged/likely perpetrators
- State actors
- Was the reprisal based on new legislation?
- Does the report make general comment about country’s environment for engagement with UN?
- Was the case raised by a State at the UN?
- Is the country cited for a "pattern of reprisal" in the context of this case?
- Is a pattern of reprisals mentioned otherwise in the context of this case?
- Does the report cite "self-censorship" as an issue in the context of this case?
3 relationships, 3 entities